The Clerk/Treasurer is the City’s election officer responsible for the conduct of all Federal, State, and Local elections in compliance with State election laws and the City of Hastings Charter. The Clerk/Treasurer’s office has charge of voter registration records and updates for City residents and cooperates with State and County officials in processing new or amended registrations. The Deputy City Clerk plays key roles in carrying out these responsibilities.
Assessors must be certified by the State Tax Commission (STC) in Lansing. The STC certifies individuals at Master (MMAO), Advanced (MAAO) or Certified (MCAO) based on education, experience and examination. MMAO is the highest rating. Municipalities are required to have an assessor whose certification is at least equivalent to the SAB’s standard based on total valuation and complexity of the unit of government.
- Provide training as needed to staff and election workers in election law updates and in the operations of machines. Ensure that election workers participate in certification training provided by the County at least every two years as required by State law.
- Maintain up-to-date voter registration files.
- Select and train impartial election workers. Determine staffing level for each election based on anticipated voter turnout and ballot complexity, but not less than minimums required by regulation.
- Publish all election notices timely.
- Issue and process absentee ballots accurately and in compliance with regulations.
- Assist voters courteously without compromising the right to a secret ballot.
- Cooperate fully with the County Clerk and other municipal clerks within the county to obtain efficiencies and gain knowledge of various approaches to new and ongoing issues.