Hastings Fire Department
Fire Marshall – Roger Caris
The service area for the Hastings Fire Department includes the City of Hastings, Baltimore, Hastings, Rutland, ½ of Carlton, and ¼ of Irving Townships. The Department is dedicated to saving lives and protecting property for citizens that reside in our fire service area.
Fire service in the State of Michigan is regulated by many State and Federal laws, industry standards, and general rules that Fire Departments must follow in day-to-day operations. These various laws and other guidelines govern the type of training and equipment provided, design of equipment used, and medical training requirements for our fire department staff. OSHA, MIOSHA, and the National Fire Protection Association are among the agencies that set and enforce these laws and standards.
The Hastings Fire Department also follows guidelines for blood borne pathogens, TB, and MIOSHA 3502 – Confined Space Part 90. We use hand tools, ladders, air compressors, etc. and follow safety requirements for all of the equipment we utilize.
The Department provides fire prevention and suppression programs to service clubs and visits all schools in our area during Fire Prevention Week to present programs to students.
The Department does inspections on a complaint basis and issues burning permits to our service area residents. We will provide and install smoke detectors and test for CO2 upon request.
Improve Public Relations
- Increase public awareness and continue to educate people of the causes of fires and the methods to prevent them.
- Continue to provide fire prevention programs to the schools within our area to make children aware of what they need to do to prevent fires and what to do if a fire occurs.
- Provide fire related articles for the City Newsletter.
- Continue public service announcements on smoke detectors.
- Continue to check/install smoke detectors, CO2 monitors and batteries.
- Continue to hold the annual department pancake breakfast fundraiser.
- Provide blood pressure check upon request at the annual department pancake breakfast.
- Collect items for the needy.
- Continue to be a Safe Delivery Site for newborn babies.