This position performs field work, GIS mapping, and reporting of engineering and planning related items. Tasks may include, but, are not limited to the following: GIS editing, sidewalk cost estimating, data research, construction monitoring, traffic monitoring, website updates, and record keeping as necessary to support the Department of Public Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all the following (this not all-inclusive):
- Field investigation, data gathering, and cost estimating of the City’s sidewalk curb & gutter, and drive approach conditions.
- Organizational assistance for infrastructure assets management, bridge file management, and storm system compliance evaluation.
- GIS editing, map and report creation and revisions.
- Project status inventory
- Construction monitoring, including driveway permits, pavement cut permits, utility services and other contracted projects.
- Website updates
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a High School or GED program.
- Current enrollment in an accredited civil engineering, construction management, or related program with a minimum of 2 years completed towards a bachelor’s degree.
- Proficient experience with and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Beginner GIS experience. Additional training will be provided.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Driven and self-motivated, able to work independently with a positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information orally and in writing to property owners, employees, consultants, city officials, the public, and other governmental agencies.
- Ability to work well with others, especially in a small group setting.
- Must possess a valid State of Michigan Driver’s license; be physically capable of traversing and moving about on steep and uneven terrain; able to work outdoors, occasionally in adverse weather conditions.
PROVIDED TOOLS & EQUIPMENT:
Personal computer with all required software, municipal motor vehicle during work hours, phone, GPS field equipment.
Employee must provide their own field clothes and footwear.
PAY AND REQUIRED HOURS:
The hourly rate for this position will be $14 per hour. This is a part-time/seasonal position that will begin in late-May and last for 10-12 weeks and work hours will be Monday through Thursday 7:00 am – 3:00 pm dependent on candidate availability.
Submit application/resume/cover letter via email to Sandy Ponsetto, Administrative Specialist, at email@example.com on or before May 19th to be considered for this position. Visit our website https://hastingsmi.org/document-center for the City Employment Application form.